I write about my life. It used to be a marketing blog and now its just my blog

Gavin Degraw ,, please please strip

| Monday, June 30, 2008
Gavin Degraw



ARGH! I'm such a sucker for these cheap irresistable sushi conveyor belt singer songwriters packages! But i just had to give Gavin the time of day, his album in 2002 has been a faithful hound in my ipod through bus rides, mrt scuffles and piss weak jogging attempts. Not to fear, I have 3 rock album requests I'll be listening to this week, so i promise more grit coming soon.

Meanwhile click on the player to check out "We belong together" and read on. ( Song playing is not yet a single, but i like it)



Gavin Degraw. I've waited 5 years for his sophomore effort and this self titled album is the fruit of that eternity. Verdict? IT'S EXACTLY THE SAME!!! It really should be named Chariot "The sequel". Back in 2002 when One tree hill decided to use " I don't want to be" as its title theme song, Gavin's tunes were instantly all over the airwaves and TV. I was a minor fan till he released "Chariot Stripped" in 2004. That was the 'lemak' that got me hooked to his cooking. To date, i have ranked it within my top 5 favorite acoustic albums of all time. It's seriously good how he stripped every song to reveal every weakness and strength in the album. From "Nice to meet you anyway" to "Chariot" to songs i have never cast more than a second listen to , each track was so intimate and honest, it was truly "stripped" ( click the player to enjoy 'belief' stripped)


Back to this album. Now, Gavin is a solid songwriter who has a very good sense of what he does well and how to push that across. He has a knack for hammering a chorus/melody into your head, it sticks for at least half a day. On his first single, "In love with a girl" he ctrl C and Vs the formula and churns out a song that sounds like a hybrid of "Nice to meet you anyway" and "I don't want to be". He returns to his blues / jazz compositions on more than 1 occasion and tracks like "Let it go" and "cheated on me" really deliver on all accounts. You really do feel for the fella and wonder if he needs some relationship therapy or self help book. From "Cheated on me " to " Next to me " to the above "Let it go". Mr Degraw is in some serious BGR trouble. I think that's why he keeps wearing hats , dude's losing his hair over chicks that made use of him, lied to him, cheated on him, left him etc etc


All in all , i really wanted more but I'm not unhappy with this new release. I'm just waiting for him to strip this album and redeem some of these song offerings. As they say at Hen parties .. "Take it off! Take it off! Take it off!"

No comments :

Post a Comment

lionbo's Profile on Ping.sg