I write about my life. It used to be a marketing blog and now its just my blog

Quitting social media practices is a good thing

| Monday, January 19, 2009
You probably already know that social media can be a real vacuum cleaner of time. Try clocking in the number of hours you spend tweeting/blogging and facebooking/myspacing. I'm pretty sure the final figure will be pretty jaw dropping. ( as of now, i've officially clocked 3 hours and 27 minutes)

This has really helped me look at the "WHY" with a whole new perspective. When i follow someone's tweet and click on an URL, that's opportunity cost i could have spent on Guy Kawsaki's newest blog post. That if irrelevant ( i jest, the man's a god), could have gone to my own personal blogging time.

When you start to weigh this more heavily, the question of objectives and goals (the WHY) becomes an inevitable juncture. Why you micro blog will impact the way you use your time on twitter.

Reviewing your objectives will eventually narrow your time into funnels of worth. For example, i blog to air my opinions in an articulate fashion. But whats the "WHY?" (trust me, facing this was painful)

It became apparent that i can achieve better results by responding in multiple article comment forums. So, instead of becoming an author , i could do more entries as a contributer to existing topics. I believe this will change over time as my personal branding road gains more traction,but for now, it makes more sense spending slightly more time on commenting in the best blogs i follow.

I thought more objectively about why i use Twitter (Thanks Jerell !)and came to to conclusion that my goal is to learn from the best in marketing and social media and hopefully be considered as one myself someday. This meant trimming who i followed and whose tweets i identified as top tier net property.

Seth Godin spoke about quitting the right way, learning what to quit in order to excel in the goal is a vital part of this housekeeping process. I believe in order to maximise the best use of our time in social media, we all need to quit certain streams of content or people in order to reach those objectives.

Song of the blog "Heart attack" by Low Vs Diamond

No comments :

Post a Comment

lionbo's Profile on Ping.sg