I write about my life. It used to be a marketing blog and now its just my blog

KL startup unconference review part 1

| Monday, November 24, 2008
I went up as a Singaporean "invader" to attend start up camp KL over the weekend. I'm exhausted and back in the office but I'm really glad i went. I think it's imperative we as bloggers and social media contributors have a more global view of web 2.0's impact on each society. And since i don't have a global travel budget, i took a coach up with 2 friends to get a S.E.A 's perspective instead.

This post marks the first of a week long's review on specific start ups that presented in KL and observations i have noted down. But to kick things off, i want to blog about the differences i experienced in local unconferences and this unconference in KL. This provides a backdrop of perspective that hopefully will remain in your mind as i continue the series this week.

In my opinion, judging from the few unconferences i have had the opportunity to experience locally, Singaporean start ups generally are at a higher level of sophistication when it comes to revenue modeling and online business economics. Certain topics were presented in KL which honestly wouldn't go very far in terms of interest levels if presented in Singapore. (let me know if you disagree)

So, was it a waste of time?

The answer is a resounding NO. I found a refreshing sense of community. Real community within the KL participants. I experienced a frankness and openness about idea generation and sharing that went beyond criticism and evaluation. I stopped thinking like a "VC " (without the $$ of course) and started thinking like a team member. This is a stark contrast to the unconference in Singapore earlier this year where pitches were made to promote/announce and get share of voice versus feedback solicitation and community involvement.

Ask yourself, do you want to see a fellow start up succeed? If so, have you thought about sharing personal feedback with those particular start ups to encourage improvement? If so, have you done it? If not. Why?

I will be the first to put my hand up and say i'm guilty as charged. My kiasu nature compels me to analyze, critic and evaluate all from the comfort of my armchair. However, as my blog takes shape, i realize i should be sharing some of my ideas directly to these startups instead of using them as a content source to derive my own personal blog traffic.

This Kampung spirit i experienced in KL was worth far more than any killer app or startup pitch i could have hoped to discover. Are we here in Singapore truly a startup community or are we a community of startups?

I think we can do better and i'm gonna start doing my part by engaging the startups i have given constructive criticism ( see nuffnang post ) to at least give them my improvement food for thought.

What do you think about my opinion on our singaporean startup culture? Share with us your experiences and if you think i'm way off base.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

As the other one of the 3, I would like to add my few cents worth.

I am very glad that we made it for the event. The sense of sharing and entrepreuneurship is very evident and permeates across all levels (startups talking to VCs talking to grant managers to head of depts).

What I felt they have done right, is to just let ideas stand the chance of becoming the next big thing and to renumerate that "chance". If the 1.0 turns out to to be unsuccessful, it's ok, finish your KPIs, and restart the process for a 2.0 or 3.0 or 4.0.

Quoting David Ogilvy - The best ideas come as jokes.

Melvin said...

hear hear...

Post a Comment

lionbo's Profile on Ping.sg