I write about my life. It used to be a marketing blog and now its just my blog

The next big thing

| Wednesday, August 27, 2008
10 years ago i was in a small record store in Perth called "2 steps records". They've since closed down but it was my favorite store for 4 years. I love and embrace digital freedom but traditional record stores all over the world have suffered for it. Anyway, i remember sitting in Dave's listening booth loving a little band called "Kara's flowers". They sounded then like a post Weezer college rock band with clever lyrics. I also loved all the Beatles references and obvious musical influences. Of course 4 years later, they discovered R&B and became the slightly bigger band we now know as "Maroon 5". It was also in "2 steps" that i discovered Stereophonics before they made radio.. back then Dave introduced me to them as one of the bands to look out for according to Q.

Fast forward to 2008, "2 steps records" has long been destroyed by piracy and the digital revolution but music lives on. Here is my next pick for "The next big thing". Say hello to "Low vs Diamond". I'm 6 songs into their debut album and I LOVE IT. Imagine The Strokes meet Hot Hot Heat meet genius.

Here is my self declared undiscovered rock single of the year.

Sorry they aren't big enough for me to grab a full music video but trust me...soon soon soon

Here is an acoustic live performance.

"Heart Attack" by Low vs Diamond.



And some studio work introducing themselves etc



The Strokes has been impressing me for a long time but they seem to work out terrific singles and really forgettable albums. Low vs Diamond's album is amazing.. i'll do the review this week but so far, i'm about 6 songs into it and i'm gushing all over my stereo. "Heart attack" is brilliant, so is "Sister B" and "Don't forget sister". That's 3/6 which is a 50% killer rate.. terrific. It has everything you are looking for in a song, the rock is mainstream enough for the world, they have big anthem solos, wonderful choruses, good vocals, nice harmonies, argh..

Gerald, thanks for the rock tips, will be checking them out after i finish with this band. Come back and let's cover heart attack. hahah

No comments :

Post a Comment

lionbo's Profile on Ping.sg